Esports is a thriving industry which has surged in popularity over the last few years, and it’s not expected to stop the unprecedented expansion anytime soon! The gaming community is growing at a supersonic rate, attracting more and more fans from all over the world every day.
What is esports betting?
First and foremost, how can we define esports? Short for electronic sports, this term refers to professional video gaming — a billion-dollar global industry with professional teams and celebrity athletes. Esports are uniquely situated to bridge players from all backgrounds and locales, gone are the days when opponents had to be sitting down in front of the same piece of equipment. Gamers can now compete against anyone, and anywhere, regardless of their geographical location. With the fall of so many gatekeeping barriers, the meteoric rise of professional esports tournaments was only natural. Competitive video gaming has now gone viral, boasting multi-million prize pools and attracting massive live audiences in renowned arenas worldwide. Millions of fans follow their favourite players through online streaming, and some matches and leagues regularly air the action on TV channels.
With the recognition of esports as a legitimate sporting activity, people weren’t just interested in simply watching or playing but also saw an opportunity to wager on these video game competitions. Thus, the esports betting industry was set in motion and may, arguably, be the future of betting. Sports and gaming fans realised that betting on esports was an exciting alternative to traditional sports betting. The unparalleled accessibility and abundance of competitive titles allow players to dive into their favourite game and experience the thrill of competition first-hand. In a way, the accessibility of video games and the intrinsic motivation of playing for fun is a unique blend that no traditional sport can offer.
Several video games have come and gone, but the most successful titles have persevered through time and are the cornerstones of the gaming market. Here are some of the most popular competitive games and genres which define today’s esports industry
MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) games
These popular games are strategy-based and are packed with action! MOBA games usually take place on mapped terrain, where two teams clash to surpass the one another in objective control. Each player must choose a virtual character to control, with unique abilities that may be enhanced throughout the game. Teammates must cooperate and strategise to overcome the opponent and secure objectives. Common goals include destroying bases, and structures, slaying monsters, or obliterating the opponent on the battlefield.
Famous examples of MOBA games which continue to dominate the market include DotA 2, Smite, and Heroes of the Storm. Last, but certainly not least, is the towering monolith that is League of Legends (LoL) — one of the most-played PC games in Europe and the world.
Since this genre offers plenty of in-game objectives and a good number of players, it gives punters an extensive variety of betting options, which we will go through further down.
FPS (First-person shooter) games
First-person shooters are the heavily combat-oriented skirmishes in single or multiplayer matches. These games can be enjoyed from a first-person perspective, i.e. through the eyes of the player-controlled character. Players use available weapon loadouts to complete assigned missions and capture objectives on their way to securing victory. If you’re geared for combat, and this sounds like your style, the most distinguished FPS title is none other than Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO).
CS:GO is the latest instalment of the 1999 Counter-Strike series, set on the premise of two teams competing for glory. The first team, blue, are the Counter-Terrorists. Their missions include escorting VIPs to extraction points, rescuing hostages, defuse bombs, eliminate Terrorists or hold them off until time runs out. The second team, yellow, are the Terrorists. Their objective is to capture hostages, carry out assassinations, planting explosives at designated bombsites, and escaping the gripping clutch of the Counter-Terrorists.
Other FPS games you can bet on include Halo, Overwatch, Valorant, Apex Legends, Rainbow Six Siege, and Call of Duty (CoD) - more specifically, the 16th instalment of the series: Modern Warfare.
Close combat games are another popular esports sector in the betting industry, involving 1v1 matches - with the conventional combat mode being hand-to-hand melee fighting. Popular options include the all-time classic Street Fighter and Super Smash Bros. Fighting games generally consist of timed rounds, where the player who kills or deals the most damage to his opponent is crowned victor.
RTS (Real-time strategy) games
How great of a strategist are you? RTS games incorporate resource management and combat — where players elevate structures and manoeuvre combatant units to starve the opponent of resources and territory while boosting their own defences and supply. Players are forced to make real-time decisions based on how in-game events are unfolding. Looking for a good RTS game to bet on? Check out Starcraft II! This multiplayer Starcraft sequel skyrocketed to popularity in the blink of an eye, quickly becoming the main attraction of professional leagues and circuits with some of the largest prize pools ever seen. Starcraft II is the original king of esports, without whom the industry would not blossom to be what it is today.
Racing & Sports Games
The most famous sports game series needs no introduction. FIFA hasn’t aged a day, and the multiple versions released one after the other have kept this game very much alive. Another video game worth mentioning is Rocket League, an intriguing game which isn’t based on a real sport, but in a way invented its own. The game vaguely resembles soccer, but players move the ball and score by controlling rocket-powered vehicles. Fuel the fun!
After going through all the esports taking the world by storm, it comes as no surprise that betting activity has increased simultaneously.
Now that we’ve taken a look at all the esports taking the world by storm, it comes as no surprise that betting activity increased exponentially. Up to a few years ago, casual betting between friends and within gaming communities was the norm, but not anymore! Whether you’re interested in CS:GO esports betting, LoL betting or Rocket League betting, you can find a diverse selection of high-profile leagues and tournaments all year round at LV BET. With LV, you can back your favourite players and teams with bets on the latest esports events. Some of the most popular contests include The International DotA 2 Championship, Call of Duty Championship, Halo World Championship and League of Legends World Championship, among many more!
The action never stops, tune in to LV BET and don’t miss out on the latest tournaments and esports events at top-tier odds!
Before diving into esports betting, you must understand the big picture — how individual esports, such as League of Legends and CS:GO are played, the mechanics of tournaments, and the most popular teams and players. Having limited knowledge will only ensure you lose more money since your esports betting decisions will be based on a rocky foundation.
First, let’s go through the different esports betting options. Keep in mind that several of these apply to betting within the gaming communities and may not always surface in online casinos.
- Real money betting: This is the closest you can get to traditional sports betting. Punters place real bets on fixed odds and win money if their predicted outcome is correct. You can bet on varying results, depending on the esport in question. We’ll go through the possible outcomes you can bet on later on. Real money betting is considered as the most effective way to bet on the best esports.
- Skin betting: Instead of real money, this option enables gamers to put virtual currency and items at stake, which, in turn, are transferred to the winner. This betting option is especially valuable for gamers in need of particular objects to progress further in their games.
- Social betting: Before esports gained popularity, this was the only type of betting within the video game communities, but a percentage of players still favour it. It allows players to place casual bets between themselves. Still, it’s considered a risky feat because it relies on honesty between the two parties, and both need to agree to predetermined terms.
- Fantasy betting: In this betting option, players compete against each other at fantasy contests in the absence of bookmakers. Players draft a team of players and earn points based on the players’ performance. Those with the most points win. Building a strong fantasy team requires great skill and in-depth knowledge of the competitive scene, so tread carefully.
- Challenge betting: This is dedicated to gamers who would like to compete head-to-head for money or skins. Challenge betting can take place between casual or pro players alike, and often involves an improvised ruleset. Aside from following the game’s standard rules of play, competitors may wish to self-impose arbitrary restrictions, such as limiting objective chasing or ending the match at first blood. It may seem odd, but that’s one of the many ways that gamers today create unique challenges and keep the sparks flying during every moment of play.
So how do you need to prepare yourself before placing any esports bets?
Choose the betting option which works best for you. You may want to consider real money betting if you’re still getting started, as it’s the most straightforward option to grasp.
Expand your esports knowledge! Just like in traditional sports betting, you need to be comfortably familiar with the esport you plan to bet on, be it DotA 2, CS:GO or League of Legends. Take the time to get to know the game, and you’ll be in a better position to make informed decisions.
Learn all you can about the basics of esports betting. If you’ve wagered on traditional sports, then you’d know the fundamental aspects of betting. If you’re new to betting, best to understand how odds work.
Set a budget, esports betting is just as risky as any other type of gambling. It’s crucial to determine what you can afford to lose, and stick to that budget to minimise losses as much as possible.
What types of bets can you place in esports?
Since the mechanics underlying each esport genre are different, the esport betting options related to each genre will vary accordingly. While some are related to the outcome of the match, punters may also choose to bet on non-influential circumstances. If we take some examples, DotA 2 and League of Legends betting can be made on the winners, the winning margin and the total number of kills. More specific options may also be found on the best esports betting sites — such as the first team to slay the drake or the one to bring down the first tower.
With FPS games the betting options are more clear-cut. Punters are able to bet on the winning margin, the number of kills or on a handicap. If you’re a fan of RTS games, you may either bet on the winning player or the total number of matches played.
Other general options you can bet on include the final match score, an outright (the tournament winner), and the total number of points scored over or under a specified score.
How do you get started?
First, you need to choose where to place your bets. There are many established esports betting sites, but you must select a trustworthy one. Check player reviews, make sure that the casino is properly licensed, and see if your favourite esports are on offer. Have a look around our promotional offers and AccA boosts at LV BET, we’re driven by our passion for sports and outstanding service to our players. Check out everything that we have to offer, you won’t be disappointed!
Next, you need to select the esport you’re going to bet on — go with what you know best. Then it’s time for the selection: choose a player or team and wager on an outcome of your choice.
Esports Betting Tips
Whether you’re betting on esports just for fun or in a bid to make some extra money, you need to keep in mind that risk is inherent to all gambling activities. Although no one can guarantee success, there are some practices that may put you on the right track. Most of the following tips also apply to traditional sports betting and will ensure that new punters have the best esports betting experience
- Understand the risks — Winning some money is not so simple. You need time and effort to get to know your games and the respective teams. But even when you do, the chances of winning are still not high, so always make sure that you do not surpass your leisure-activity budget.
- Use a reputable esports betting site — LV BET is one of the most reliable and secure online casino sites. We value high standards and put the interests of our players first.
- Understand how odds work and how payouts are calculated — Lower odds signify lower payouts but higher winning chances. Higher odds will lead to greater payouts, but lower winning chances.
- Manage your bankroll — Gambling should be treated as a leisure activity, strictly as a form of entertainment. Responsible gaming is our chief priority, and we advise you to establish a dedicated budget and adhere to it whether or not you face losses. If you are concerned about your ability to manage your gameplay, you can use our Responsible Gaming tools to impose limitations on your deposits, wagers, session time, or self-exclude entirely.
- Find value in your bets — Take into consideration all possible factors, not just the odds, when placing a wager. Base your decision on your research to improve your chance of winning.
- Do your research— Get familiar and stay up-to-date with the most popular esports (CS:GO, LoL, DotA 2) leagues and teams! Check out previous match results, gauge the team’s level of motivation to win, explore any winning patterns, watch streamed Let’s Plays, read blogs and follow the news to gain as much insight as possible.
- Focus on one esport at first — When it comes to online gambling, slow and steady may just win the race. Start slow, don’t shift gears from one game to another and you’ll become an esports expert in no time. We recommend trying out CS:GO for first-time bettors.
- Shop around for the best odds — This might take some time, but it can mean winning more money.
- Be patient — Broaden your esports knowledge, practice and improve your betting strategies before diving in head-first into a new betting sector.
- Keep records of your betting history — You’ll be able to analyse how accurate your predictions were and identify any emerging patterns.
Money Safety and Regulations
You’ll find a plethora of esports betting sites when exploring your options, and choosing a trustworthy one is imperative! You’re sharing your personal information and putting your finances at stake, so best be cautious. How do you pinpoint a reliable esports betting site? It would be characterised by the following elements: a valid license, state-of-the-art security measures, a good reputation, competitive odds, a wide range of payment methods, realistic bonuses, fast withdrawals, a diversity of betting options, and a vast selection of games to wager on. LV BET is one of the fastest-growing betting sites which ensures honesty and transparency while offering high-standard services to its customers. Before committing to a sportsbook of your choice, make sure to read through any relevant terms and conditions.
Gambling is entertainment, and should always remain as a leisure activity. However, addiction is an inherent risk of any gambling endeavour. Here are some useful tips you can follow to keep addiction at bay: never borrow money, set a time limit, take frequent breaks, stick to a loss limit, don’t gamble when in poor health, manage your funds, and only gamble money that you can afford to lose.
At LV BET, we prioritise Responsible Gaming above all else. Our RG tools offer players the ability to impose restrictions on deposits, wagers, losses, and even session duration. If you have concerns about managing your gameplay, please do not hesitate to reach out! Our Support and Responsible Gaming teams will be able to guide you in the right direction, provide additional resources, and talk you through overcoming the dangers of online gambling.
✅Is esports betting legal in Latvia?
Online betting, including esports betting, is legal in Latvia. Always find reputable betting sites which are licensed and regulated to operate a sportsbook.
✅How does esports betting work?
Esports betting is quite straightforward. You simply place bets on a possible outcome of a video game tournament and hope your predictions are accurate. However, you need to do your research and familiarise with the games and the teams to be able to make informed and strategic decisions.
✅Where can I bet on esports?
You’ll find various sports betting sites and sportsbooks which offer esports betting. However, you need to be wary of where you place your bets, as some sites are more trustworthy than others. Also, not all sites offer the same betting options and range of games, so you may need to take that into account as well. LV BET offers an extensive selection of the most popular esports in the world, backed by years of excellence and tried-and-tested reliability.
✅How do you bet on esports?
If you are ready to raise the stakes and wager real money on esports, the first step is to select one or two of your favourite games and follow the latest matches and tournament events. If you’re new to esports and struggling to settle on a game, fan-favourite CS:GO is an excellent choice! Next, research and sniff out favourable odds. When you’re settling on what and when you wish to bet on, it’s time to select the sportsbook operator. Whether you’re looking for first-rate odds, quality service, or financial reliability — LV BET won’t let you down. Have a look at our Promotions page, you may find a bonus or two on top of our fantastic esports odds!
✅What is the best strategy for esports betting?
There’s no strategy with a 100% success guarantee, as esports are as unpredictable as traditional sports, if not more so. Anything can happen during a game, and the underdog might end up surprising everyone despite all odds. However, there are some practices you can adopt to keep your losses to a minimum: familiarise with the game you’re betting on, and do your research on the respective teams or players. Also, manage your finances responsibly, understand how odds work, find value in your bets and analyse your betting performance. Knowledge, experience and patience will go a long way in ensuring that your gambling experience remains fun!